Baby Pig Technician
- Livestock Regional - Service Techs
- Henry, TN, USA
- Full Time
Tosh Farms is a rapidly growing, family-owned, crop and swine production business with over 450 employees, and we are growing to 500 employees within the next year. As part of that growth, we need an enthusiastic and detail-oriented person to receive our grain and other products at our main site located in Henry, TN. That candidate will be able to work days, evenings, and weekends. It is an exciting time to be a part of Tosh! You can be a part of supporting the largest hog operation in TN by managing and caring for weaned piglets.
While we are family-owned, we are not a small outfit – we are three companies operating under the Tosh Farms umbrella. We are the #1 pork producer in the state of Tennessee and top #25 in the nation!
Baby Pig Technician
The Baby Pig Technician is responsible for the care and health of pigs in wean-to-market barns. Swine Service Technicians work in a team environment with other Tosh colleagues as well as contract growers in order to optimize the well-being and overall health of our livestock.
What You'll Do
- Evaluate the readiness of a farm to receive pigs including assessment of barn hygiene and environmental conditions
- Placement of pigs within farms –
- Receive newly weaned pigs, counting them as they are unloaded and sorting them into pens
- Assess health status of each pig through observation of all pigs and work with caregivers to provide treatment as necessary
- Sort pigs within the group into the appropriate areas within the barn based on their size and/or health status
- Evaluate the quality and fitness of pigs and perform euthanasia on pigs that do not meet quality or well-being standards.
- Positively influence the health and well-being of pigs by working with caregivers to provide high standards of care.
- Visit farms multiple times during the production cycle to ensure health & wellbeing of pigs
- Ensure good communication between all members of the swine service team and caregivers
- Other duties as assigned
Who You Are?
- Bachelor's degree in Agricultural related program preferred but not required
- In lieu of education, 4 years' experience working in swine or livestock field
- Strong decision-making & problem-solving skills with independent decision-making ability
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- Ability to connect with people throughout all levels of organization
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Superb computer literacy in all MS Office
- Keen eye for detail
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds infrequently
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and the ability to bend, squat, kneel
- Must have a clean driving record
- Medical insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k) with match, short term disability, paid holidays, paid vacation, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement program.
Tosh Farms does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.